I have been praying through some decisions these past couple of weeks, and as I was relating this to someone the other day they asked, “how do you go about discerning God’s will for your life?” Great question. Now this is not some formula for making the Lord do what I want, but how I sense His calling in my life.
1. Prayer-Trusting that the Holy Spirit will impress upon my/your spirit what He wants us to do.
2. Steep ourselves in God’s Word-Romans 12:1-2
3. Godly Counsel-Exodus 18:13-27
4. Redeemed Wisdom-like the kind in Proverbs (rather than the wisdom of the world) Acts 1:15-17, 21-22
5. Providence (His work in circumstances) Either in opening or closing of doors. Acts 16:7-8
6. We seek the Lord, more than His will. If we’re truly seeking the Lord, and the Lord’s mind regarding all things, He won’t allow us to miss His will. In Matthew 5:6, Jesus says, “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.” If you’re truly seeking after God, you can trust that promise.